A local apiarist has located his hives amongst our neighbours bright yellow crop & the thanks-in-advance gift was several jugs of honey that were shared with us.
This recipe for blueberry breakfast cakes is a healthy variation on a muffin. Nutritiously enriched with cholesterol lowering ground organic oats as well as buttermilk, extra virgin olive oil, bright, antioxidant rich blueberries & sweetened with golden honey.
Delightful straight from the oven with freshly squeezed juice & coffee, the leftovers can be packed for morning tea / play lunch, (they keep well for up 5 days in an airtight container).
Blueberry Breakfast Cakes
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 ½ cup Pulverised Oats
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 punnets Blueberries
- Demerara Sugar for sprinkling
- To pulverise oats, measure & place in food processor, pulse until they break up to form a bran texture.
- Pour into a medium bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, honey & egg.
- Mix until even & pour over dry ingredients.
- Stir quickly together and spoon into papers.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes to slightly set the batter.
- Then quickly divide the berries amongst the muffins, so they’re sitting nicely on top, looking abundant with fruit.
- Pop back in oven for 15-20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly & serve.
The other recipe I want to share with you is a Honey, Almond & Rosemary Cake. It’s the perfect cake for afternoon tea visitors or serve it with poached fruit & ice-cream or double cream for a sumptuous dessert. The extra moist texture of the cake makes it quite pudding like.
Honey, Almond & Rosemary Cake
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Honey Plus 1 dessert spoonful to drizzle over warm cake
- ¾ cup Demerara Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and grated
- 1 cup SR Flour
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Fresh Rosemary finely chopped
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 cup Icing Sugar Mixture
- ½ Lemon juiced
- 1 tsp Soft Butter
- Using a stand mixer beat the oil, honey & sugar until combined, then add the eggs.
- Continue beating until thick & even.
- Add the apple, flour, almond meal & baking powder, rosemary & spices.
- Beat to combine, then pour gently into prepared pan.
- Place in oven for 40-45 minutes, test with skewer.
- Remove from oven & invert into a cooling rack, gently removing pan.
- Drizzle the dessert spoonful of honey gently over cake, allowing it to run over the cake randomly.
To make the icing:
- Place the icing sugar, lemon juice & butter into a small bowl and stir vigorously until creamy.
- Dollop the icing around the top of the cake so that it runs down in an uneven manner. Sprinkle with rosemary or thyme.
Serve warm with yoghurt or as a dessert with poached stone fruit, cream and / or ice-cream.
Follow Little Kickerbell on Facebook & Instagram for notifications on all upcoming workshops.
Listening & Reading
Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
By Patience Gray